Thursday, October 21, 2010

Rooney Releases Press Statement, Sir Alex Retorts Strongly

So Rooney's finally out with his reaction to Sir Alex's press conference on Tuesday... He's released a statement to the British press which goes as follows:


"I met with David Gill [United's chief executive] last week and he did not give me any of the assurances I was seeking about the future squad. I then told him that I would not be signing a new contract.
I was interested to hear what Sir Alex had to say yesterday and surprised by some of it. It is absolutely true, as he said, that my agent and I have had a number of meetings with the club about a new contract. During those meetings in August I asked for assurances about the continued ability of the club to attract the top players in the world.
I have never had anything but complete respect for MUFC. How could I not have done given its fantastic history and especially the last six years in which I have been lucky to play a part?
For me its all about winning trophies – as the club has always done under Sir Alex. Because of that I think the questions I was asking were justified.
Despite recent difficulties, I know I will always owe Sir Alex Ferguson a huge debt. He is a great manager and mentor who has helped and supported me from the day he signed me from Everton when I was only 18.
For Manchester United's sake I wish he could go on forever because he's a one‑off and a genius."

After reading this, I inferred that he's trying to strike a chord with the anti-Glazer protesters among the club's support by questioning the financial muscle of the Glazers... He says that he's got no assurances from David Gill about the club being able to attract stars to Old Trafford in the future... He cites that the club lacks ambition to win any major trophies & as a result, he wants to leave so as to win more trophies...

Now, it is true that United have been very frugal about their spending over the last 2 summers, but have we ever been like Man City - buying every other player on the planet? Paying them astronomical wages that amounts to almost 2/3rd of the club budget? As history points out, United have often tasted sour grapes with big names - most notably Juan Sebastian Veron bought for 29 million pounds... And United have never been a club spending on big names coz the club has an excellent academic structure which nurtures youth, which has been fruitful for the last 2 decades, right???

Rooney claims that he has immense respect for the club & the manager but his behaviour in the last few weeks has been just contadictory... And funny hearing Rooney talking about ambition when his own displays have been lacking any ambition this season... After all this, I am fully convinced that he must never play for the club again...


Sir Alex spoke to the press after United's Champions League group stage win over Bursapor... He reacted strongly to Wazza's statement, saying that this matter needs to be put to rest as soon as possible... On Wazza's stance citing ambition as his reason to leave, Sir Alex's response was just this - “Is it 30 trophies I’ve won, or what?” The gaffer said that he will meet CEO Gill today to talk about Rooney's future at the club & whether he's to be sold this January or not...

That's all Folks!

Yours,
CJ

No comments:

Post a Comment