Friday, November 26, 2010

Rooney Apologises To United Fans Over Contract Saga

After scoring the lone goal via a late penalty to give Manchester United a 1-0 win over Glasgow Rangers at Ibrox, talismanic striker Wayne Rooney has apologised to the club fans for his disappointing behaviour during last month's contract dispute with the club...

Rooney made his first start for the club since the league game against Bolton Wanderers in early October... Rooney was impressive in patches against Rangers, going close to scoring quite a few times including once when his header hit the crossbar... After Fabio Da Silva was kicked in the face by Steven Naismith in the penalty box, Rooney sent Allan McGregor the wrong way to score his only second goal of the season... It is to be noted that Rooney hasn't scored from open play since last season's Champions League quarter-final first leg vs. Bayern Munich in March... His other goal this season also came from the penalty spot against West Ham in the league...

Rooney, speaking to the press post-match about his much-awaited comeback, said -

"I feel like I have apologised to the fans, but everyone keeps saying that I haven't and, if that is the case, then I apologise for my side of things.
"I have made my point clear since I signed my contract that I am committed to this club for the long term and I want to be successful with this club. I spoke with the manager and [the chief executive] David Gill and they reassured me the club was moving forward and, from that point, it took only two or three hours to negotiate my contract and sign it."

''Everyone is saying that I was definitely going to Man City," he said. "Believe me, if I had gone it wouldn't have been in England."

Talking of his well-taken penalty at Ibrox, Rooney remarked -

''It will give me confidence. It was nice to score but the main thing was to get back playing because I don't think I have consistently had a run of games this season. People are saying how badly I have been playing but I don't think I have played that many games for my form to have been a disaster.

"With everything that has happened, [the criticism] all goes a bit overboard but I know myself I have been through patches before when I haven't played well and come through them. I know 100% I will come through this one."

''I am just happy it is all over now and I want to put it behind me and look forward. Mentally I have been OK. I am mentally strong but because the football has not been going well, and the other things that have happened in my personal life, everyone has put it down to me not being mentally strong. I am, but the most important thing for me is to get back playing and score goals. I want to get back to the standard of last season.

"I am a confident person and I think I can do it. You see so many players leave this club and not do so well so I am just delighted I have stayed.''

After signing a new five-year contract with United, Sir Alex has told that Rooney would apologise to his colleagues as well as the fans... Wazza had his chance to publicly apologise to the fans during a recent interview to ITV but he didn't do so which led to speculation among fans that he won't be saying sorry to the fans... However, I'm happy that Wayne has finally done the right thing... I know that it won't be soon that the fans forgive him, but I believe that we should be getting behind him till the time he puts on that Red shirt... I'm a big fan of Rooney & I believe that he's damn important to our chances of winning titles this season...

Welcome back to the family Wayne, and wishing you good luck for your future at Manchester United!

What d'you think of Rooney's public apology? Feel free to leave your comments below or drop me a line on Twitter @AbhinavCJ... You can subscribe to this blog via email or even follow the blog via your Google/Twitter/Yahoo ID on Google Friend Connect...

Vote for the Red Devil you feel has been the MVP (Most Vital Player) to Manchester United's unbeaten run this season! Check out the poll...

That's all Folks!

Yours,
CJ

No comments:

Post a Comment