Former Manchester United assistant manager Steve McClaren says he fully expects Wayne Rooney to remain at Old Trafford, despite the recent speculation linking him with a move away from the club.
The striker was sensationally left out of the starting line-up for the Red Devils’ Champions League clash with Real Madrid on Tuesday and now a number of high-profile pundits, including former United skipper Roy Keane, as well punters who bet on Premier League transfers, have tipped him to move on in the coming months.
Rumours have been rife that Rooney himself has hinted that he wants to leave the club and its thought that the board will be willing to listen to offers in the summer, with a number of top sides monitoring his progress.
However, it would be a huge decision for the former Everton youngster to take, as there are only a handful of teams who would be able match his massive ambitions.
One of these would be crosstown rivals Manchester City, who he was previously linked with before signing a new deal at Old Trafford in 2010.
Over the decades a number of players have left United at their peak, only to fall from grace and McClaren, who coached Rooney during his time in charge of England, believes the rumours are untrue and expects the striker to stay put.
“Sir Alex always says there is only one way to go after Manchester United, and that's down. He's right, that's proved,” he said to football betting news reporters. "I know Wayne Rooney and all he wants to do is play football and win, all he wants to do is win trophies.
“He is a winner and there is no better club to be at than Manchester United if you are a winner. He won't want to leave unless told he can leave.”